Did you know your Amazon Echo device can be used to make voice calls to other Echo owners? Yes, it’s true. And in the case of the Echo Show, you can make video calls as well. And via the Alexa app on your Smartphone, you can also receive and make those calls. If you want know how you can start making voice and video call on your Alexa, read this article and follow the steps mentioned below:
- Launch the Alexa app on your Smartphone to find the people you can contact.
Note: You can only call those people who are in your contacts, and they should also have an Amazon Echo or Amazon Alexa app installed on their Smartphone.
- Tap on the Speech Bubble in the bottom of the toolbar. (Do it when you are not already in the Conversation screen).
- Tap on the Contact icon present in the top right corner of the screen.
Note: If you are using this feature for the first time, the app is likely to ask for the permission to access your device’s Contacts. Thus, you will then need to tap on the Allow option when asking for approval in order to make calls. At last, you will need to enter a valid phone number and confirm it.
- A list of all people will appear where you will be able to find the people you can call with your Amazon Echo. Tap any of the contacts to see their details.
- Here you just need to need to tap the icon underneath the name of the person. Doing so can send a message or start a voice or video call from your Alexa app
- To start making a call from your Echo, simply say “Alexa call Mr. Smith. After that Alexa confirms if it has correctly perceived the name of the contact you have spoken then starts the call. If you use an Echo or a Dot, then the ring at the top will pulse green while your call is active.
Note: If you make a call to someone who uses an Echo Show or the Alexa app, it is going to start a video call by default. And if you want to turn off Video, you can do it by saying Video Off after the call has started, or you can also do this by tapping the video button on the screen.
- To end a call, order your Alexa to finish it by saying “Alexa, end call” or you can say “Alexa, hang up.”
Note: On an Echo Show, there’s a Hang Up button on the screen. You can tap it to end the call.
Thank you for reading. We hope this article will help you learn how you can make voice or video calls using Alexa.
Devin smith is a creative person who has been writing blogs and articles about cyber security. He writes about the latest updates regarding mcafee.com/activate and how it can improve the work experience of users. His articles have been published in many popular e-magazines, blogs and websites.